Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Flowers of Texas (well a few anyway)

The Wild Geranium - Geranium carolinianum

This flower is only about a 1/4 of inch across.

This one is the Pink Sensitive Briar - Schrankia uncinata.
Now this is a plant most of you probably had some fun with, the leaves of this plant when touched will close up tight (if you haven't seen this, you need to find one and try it out), It's really neat to see:) Oh, ya they also close at night and in cloudy weather, cool huh.


Another fun one of childhood days you will probably remember, is Cleavers - (Galium aparine)we called it sticky plant. I don't have a picture of it right now, But you know the one we all used to throw at each other that would stick to your clothes so very well:).
It has a lot of common names: Bedstraw (it was used to stuff mattresses long ago), Sticky Grass, Goose grass I'll just name two more, my favorites Gentleman's Tormentors and Ever-Lasting-Friendship (as in they stay on you forever:) . I think it's great such fancy names for a plant:).
Fact: Seeds of the Bedstraw can be dried and roasted to make a coffee substitute.
Although, I have tried it and it is not too good in my opinion, But if you were stranded and really had to have some semblance of coffee I suppose it would do. It is also a lot of work for very little fruit (or coffee as it is).


A wild Iris I think. No question on it being an Iris just which one.



The Carolina Mallow - Modiola Caroliniana

This flower is only about a 1/2 inch (or a little less) across





The Passion Flower (also known as a Maypop) - Passiflora incarnata.

The Passion flower plant is a vine, it's season is May-August and has edible fruit, and you can make jelly from it (I haven't tried it yet).
Well I hope you enjoy these, ~Marci~

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how beautiful these all are, Marci! I've always wondered what the "Carolina Mallow" was really called! It's one of my favorites. :)

    I love your new blog- the layout/theme is beautiful! I subbed to you, so I enjoy reading more here in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really lovely!! I admire all your knowledge on flowers. :-)

    And glad you finally decided to get a blog! It looks very nice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you both like it, thanks. Marianna, I'm so not in the blog world, I had to read the subbed part in your comment several times.I understand some of it now, I know you were saying you subscibed to me. But I don't know what that means. Oh well I'll learn it all in time. Marbeth

    ReplyDelete